Sunday, July 8, 2018

How to Be An Adult on Social Media

Do we really need a seminar on how to be an adult on social media? What happened to accepting responsibility for your actions and just fixing it? Im stunned that I see so many personal agendas being addressed over a social media platform. You could just go directly to the person you have an issue with and work it out. If your neighbors dog barks too much, go talk to your neighbor. Chances are your neighbor will see the post, will then comment and be embarrassed that you've already made it public. Now you have two problems. I remember a time when making a personal phone call, writing a letter or a simple face to face chat was a much more adult way to solve a problem. Do I have to say "back in the day?"

Let's talk about sharing personal information. Give me eight minutes, Ill do a Ted Talk on things NOT to post.  Employers, parents, and schools you are applying to, ....are all looking at your social media. Posting about your medication, fights you had and using bad language is not going to look well. If I was choosing between two candidates for a job, you bet I'd pick the one that has a stable social media. As far as medical goes, it is a personal decision when sharing info on medical conditions. Posting about medical conditions for support and education can be a great way to raise funds and awareness. It can also be very therapeutic.  Just make sure you are never sharing someone else's info without their permission.

So let's be clear. Your Social Media personal page is awesome for keeping memories, staying connected to family and friends, and even opinions when done in a responsible manor.  Social media for business is fantastic for generating new leads and growing your revenue.

True fact, when my daughter asks to go on a date and I don't know this person well, I look at their social media. It's amazing what teens will post. And if they have foul language, violent art, inappropriate attire, etc the answer is NO.  What makes you think you will date my daughter? Teach your kids at an early age the responsibility of information sharing on social media. And yes I have access to all my kids accounts.

Women tend to create drama where there doesn't need to be any. If it wasn't for my business I'm not sure I'd be on social media at all. I've loved it for keeping track of pictures, its kind of a journal for me. I am not scrapbooker! So when pointless drama sneaks in, I just want to shake the person creating the drama and say "hey you are better than that!"  We often talk about being real, lifting women up, and being a support system. Then do that!, how genuine you are matters. Not to mention you could really cause someone emotional trauma. Be kind always.  Maybe I can clear up a few areas that create the drama in the first place.

You have the "Attention Seekers", the "I'm having a really bad day".... but don't tell you what is wrong.  50 people then proceed to send emojis of happy crying faces. If you had a bad day at work, say that.  Getting support from others who can relate could be really helpful. Just don't be too vague about it. There's a difference between wanting the attention from everyone asking "whats wrong?" to letting friends know your day was terrible and could use some support.

You have the "perfect life" sharers....No ones life is perfect, give me something real besides your perfect vacations, relationships and over the top parenting. People want relatable, not unreachable. We try so hard not to compare, but we do it anyway.  Now I do have friends that use their face book just to keep up with family memories, and then go on to make photo albums out of it. Thats a great idea. But I'm talking about the over compensating comments, with a  heart around the anniversary pic and telling me you've never had a fight in 15 years.

Next comes the "opinion moderators"  They want your opinion, but only if its inline with what they are preaching.  Be careful you may find your comment deleted entirely.  You are missing a growth opportunity if you don't look at all sides.  I find myself commenting less and less on pages I know have a tendency to delete and control opinions.

The "home business multi marketers"  I love supporting small businesses but be upfront about it.  I've gotten personal messages asking about my family and commenting on family vacations only to end with "I have a video for you to watch, no obligation but I need 10 people."  Really? I don't have time for it.  If you want me to review a product, just be direct in your intentions.

And last but not least, The "offended" Yes you've been offended, maybe not even on social media but you are going to call them out publicly.  I do not want to know what you ex husband said to you,  the family argument word for word or that your sister slept with your husband and "haha" to them you posted it public. Airing dirty laundry on social media is never a good idea, it doesn't look good for you. And lacks maturity.  You may have been truly been hurt, but no one knows the real circumstances and public shaming can really do harm.

In all these situations it is easily solved by getting back to being personable and responsible. Ask yourself what your agenda is first. Could it be solved by reaching out? Is the information too personal? Would I want a future employer, school or family to see it? Does it enrich my life, or someone else's?  Is my post a hidden agenda meant for someone to read between the lines? And the last question to ask yourself, could it ever be used legally against you? My husband is an attorney, believe me your social media can be used for evidence.

As social media grows in popularity and it doesn't seem to be going away, choose wisely what your content is. It's an amazing tool for business, a remarkable way to stay in touch with family and friends, and building communication across the globe. Just keep the drama out of it.


*Its almost funny that I will have to add, these are only my opinions....









No comments:

Post a Comment